Welcome! The topic of this article is Chakras and all you need to know in order to best explore and understand them. As it is quite a lengthy one I will be splitting it up into 2 parts. In this first part, I will explain the purpose of each Chakra, as well as what makes each one tick. Each of us has these energy centres or points in our physical bodies that directly impact our health and daily functioning, sometimes without us even realizing the connection.
Due to our childhoods, life traumas, belief systems and just the way we carry ourselves, we either have blocked or open Chakras. This state however is not stagnant, like all energy, these points are constantly changing or have the capacity to do so. Many people do not realize how their Chakras impact their physical, mental and emotional wellbeing. These meridians are points at which we connect with our spiritual selves. Therefore the state at which they are operating will have a direct impact on our physical lives and health too.
KNOWING YOUR CHAKRAS
I’m sure most of you who do know the basics of Chakra work, are aware that we have 7 main Chakras. These are all developing in stages as we age. You will notice below, I have added the age of development for each Chakra. This is to show at what stage of our lives that Chakra is directly influencing our decisions and life choices. It also shows the life stage where we are building the foundation for that Chakra and helps us to possibly understand why we are who we are today.
Example- If a child is violated or abused physically, during the stages of their Sacral, Root or Solar Plexus Chakra development specifically – this would likely then lead to an adult who feels powerless, has low self-esteem, inability to make decisions, doesn’t feel safe, most likely has intimacy and trust issues. Just as there are certain foundations stages that are crucial for a child’s physical, mental and emotional development, so there are the same principles for the Chakra’s in order for us to function at our best.
Did you know we also have a few ‘off-grid’ energy centres that sit in our astral bodies or auric fields? These are known as the Higher Chakras as they relate or are connected to our higher selves and life purpose. It is said that the true number of these Chakras is not known as they are still being discovered. But for now, there are at least 4 that are known. These are The Transpersonal Point, Alter Major, High Heart and finally The Hara Chakra.
In this article, we will explore the 7 main Chakras in some depth. So you have a better understanding of how you’re doing on an energetic and spiritual level as well as how this may be impacting your overall health and wellbeing. Sometimes, seeing things from a different perspective can help us find the actual roots of our pain or deep-seated traumas and triggers. Assisting us in healing physical ailments by working at an inner, soul level. As opposed to just masking or treating the symptoms for short-term relief. At the end of this article, I have included some techniques for shifting, unblocking and balancing your Chakras.
*Please Note: This article is not to discount any medical advice, treatments or professional protocols related to any diagnosed conditions. It is simply for those who are seeking alternate resources, explanations or additions to their existing routines from a spiritual viewpoint.*
THE CROWN CHAKRA
We are going to start at the top, with the 7th Chakra known as The Crown Chakra. This energy point sits on the top of your head, essentially on your crown and is Violet or for some White in colour. The purpose of this Chakra is to connect us to Source, the Divine and our higher selves. I like to see it as an umbilical cord that connects us to the universe and essentially all. This Chakra acts as an antenna for our souls and if it is closed or blocked, it can cause us to feel that disconnect to something bigger, our purpose, The Divine and essentially from ourselves.
BLOCKED CROWN CHAKRAS
- No inspiration or motivation
- No connection to the Divine or something bigger than ourselves
- Harmful and negative thoughts and a few of the more common mental/emotional disorders we see today
- This can also include brain disorders such as Epilepsy and other more serious conditions
OVERACTIVE CROWN CHAKRAS
If this or any Chakra is overactive this can also be a problem. This would cause things such as:
- An overactive mind and thoughts
- Living in the clouds
- Lack of empathy, living in logic or ego
- Fixations or unhealthy obsession
- Insomnia or Hypersomnia
- Sometimes it can also lead to spiritual obsession or superiority *(the Guru effect 😉 )
- Not being grounded could cause dizzy spells and low blood pressure too
All things in life require balance, if there is too much or too little of one thing we are out of balance and this will begin to affect our physical lives and bodies if left unaddressed for too long.
CROWN CHAKRA SUMMARY
|LOCATION||TOP OF THE HEAD / CROWN|
|PURPOSE||CONNECT TO SOURCE|
|COLOUR||VIOLET OR WHITE|
|PART OF THE BODY AFFECTED||BRAIN AND HEAD AREA|
|ALSO ASSOCIATED WITH||PITUITARY GLAND|
|AGE OF DEVELOPMENT||+26 YEARS OLD|
|CONTRIBUTING FACTORS||FORCED RELIGIONS OR BELIEF SYSTEMS GROWING UP, SPIRITUAL AND MENTAL ABUSE, NOT ALLOWED YOUR OWN OPINION OR VIEWPOINT, BLIND OBEDIENCE EVEN WHEN YOU DO NOT AGREE|
|SOME CRYSTALS FOR THE CROWN CHAKRA||SUGILITE|
THE THIRD EYE CHAKRA
Next in line is the 2nd or The Third Eye and Brow Chakra which sits in the centre of your forehead, the colour of this Chakra is Indigo or Purple. This is, naturally where the popular depictions of the 6th sense (6th Chakra) and third eye come from, as this is a powerful point of energy when properly balanced and activated. This power centre is associated with visions, predictions, premonitions, intuition and dreams. The Third Eye Chakra also connects us to our Divinity and Source along with the Crown and Throat Chakra (the Higher Chakras).
BLOCKED BROW CHAKRAS
- Finding refuge in logic and discounting the unexplained or opinions of others
- Being disconnected from Source, your guardian angels and guides
- Not listening to or not being able to receive inner guidance/ intuition
- No room for imagination or silly dreams that are unrealistic
- Physical conditions may affect the eyes or head as in migraines or vision loss as well as sinus issues and fatigue
OVERACTIVE BROW CHAKRAS
- Day dreamers, have their head in the clouds
- Battle to focus on the everyday on mundane tasks
- Concentration issues could become a problem, such as ADHD
- Get distracted easily
- No fear of death or the unknown as these people would prefer to return to their spiritual bodies / states
- Not being grounded could cause dizzy spells, anaemia and low blood pressure too
THIRD EYE CHAKRA SUMMARY
|LOCATION||CENTRE OF THE FOREHEAD|
|PURPOSE||PSYCHIC ABILITIES, SEEING BETWEEN REALMS, INTUITION|
|COLOUR||PURPLE OR INDIGO|
|PART OF THE BODY AFFECTED||BRAIN, NERVOUS SYSTEM, EAR, NOSE AND THROAT|
|ALSO ASSOCIATED WITH||PINEAL GLAND|
|AGE OF DEVELOPMENT||20 – 26 YEARS OLD|
|CONTRIBUTING FACTORS||BEING SHAMED OR NOT BELIEVED WHEN EXPRESSING THINGS, GROWING UP WITH CLOSED-MINDED PARENTS OR GUARDIANS, BEING CONDITIONED TO BE MORE LOGICAL, HAVING DREAMS AND GOALS JUDGED OR TOLD THEY’RE NOT REALISTIC|
|SOME CRYSTALS FOR THE THIRD EYE CHAKRA||SUGILITE|
BLACK OBSIDIAN – BALANCING
KYANITE – ALL BALANCING AND CLEARING
THE THROAT CHAKRA
Number 5 on the list is The Throat Chakra. This Chakra sits over the neck and throat area and is Blue in colour.
This energy centre governs our communication and ability to express our views, opinions and feelings. If during our earlier years we are not allowed to voice our opinions or we received judgement when expressing ourselves, for example, this then would lead to the closing down or blocking of this Chakra. You may notice in people with an overactive throat Chakra, the need to constantly talk and fill the silence, or they are very loud and open with their opinions whether they hurt others in the process or not.
BLOCKED THROAT CHAKRAS
- Inability to communicate and open up
- Often soft spoken individuals
- Do not like talking about themselves
- Do not respond well to confrontation, prefer to sweep things under the rug
- Prone to secrecy and in some cases they cannot speak the truth
- Medical or physical issues with throat, voice box, larynx, underactive thyroid etc
- Can also affect the back of this Chakra in the neck area
OVERACTIVE THROAT CHAKRAS
- Constant, often mindless or irrelevant chatter to fill the silence
- Boastful, conceited, arrogant toward others
- Loud and over expressive individuals
- Have no problem expressing themselves even if blunt and hurtful to others
- Medical Issues could include overactive thyroid, hoarse throat, losing your voice etc
THROAT CHAKRA SUMMARY
|LOCATION||THROAT AND NECK AREA|
|PURPOSE||COMMUNICATION, EXPRESSION, TRUTH|
|PART OF THE BODY AFFECTED||THROAT, MOUTH, VOICEBOX, LARYNX|
|ALSO ASSOCIATED WITH||THYROID|
|AGE OF DEVELOPMENT||16 – 21 YEARS OLD|
|CONTRIBUTING FACTORS||NOT ALLOWED AN OPINION, VERBAL ABUSE, EXCESSIVE CRITICISM, NO FORM OF SELF EXPRESSION ALLOWED, TOLD TO ‘BE SEEN AND NOT HEARD’, PATTERNS OF ADDICTION OR SUBSTANCE ABUSE WITHIN THE FAMILY|
|SOME CRYSTALS FOR THE THROAT CHAKRA||LAPIS LAZULI|
BLUE LACE AGATE
KYANITE – ALL BALANCING
THE HEART CHAKRA
This is the 4th Chakra in line, our Heart Chakras and Centres. This Chakra is Green or for some Pink in colour and it sits in the centre of your chest. It is responsible for our capacity to love unconditionally (including ourselves) and is a very important Chakra as it not only governs many of the others, but it connects our physical bodies to our spiritual ones. If your Heart is closed or blocked chances are most of the others are too.
BLOCKED HEART CHAKRAS
- Inability to understand others emotions
- Lack of empathy
- Withholding or inability to show affection
- Bitterness, resentment, unable to forgive
- Holding onto the past and past traumas
- Closed to new possibilities and opportunities
- Medical conditions would affect the heart, chest, lung areas.
OVERACTIVE HEART CHAKRAS
- Giving too much to others can lead to emotional exhaustion
- No boundaries are set with your time for others
- Being taken advantage of, inability to say “No”
- Empathy is on ‘high alert’ constantly which is draining for the individual
- Always have time for others, never for yourself
- Overly emotional , sensitive, defensive
- An overactive Heart Chakra, will eventually lead to someone closing this energy point down completely due to hurt or emotional exhaustion
HEART CHAKRA SUMMARY
|LOCATION||CENTER OF THE CHEST|
|PURPOSE||LOVE, EMOTION, EMPATHY, FORGIVENESS|
|COLOUR||GREEN OR PINK|
|PART OF THE BODY AFFECTED||HEART, CHEST, LUNGS, IMMUNE SYSTEM|
|ALSO ASSOCIATED WITH||THYMUS|
|AGE OF DEVELOPMENT||12 – 16 YEARS OLD|
|CONTRIBUTING FACTORS||BETRAYAL, REJECTION, MANIPULATION, SHAMING AND GUILT-TRIPPING, EMOTIONAL ABUSE, ABUSE TO THE LOWER CHAKRAS|
|SOME CRYSTALS FOR THE HEART CHAKRA||ROSE QUARTZ|
THE SOLAR PLEXUS CHAKRA
Number 3 is the Solar Plexus Chakra which sits right over your solar plexus area. This Chakras colour is Yellow. and it is the last of the physical body Chakras (including Sacral and Root.) This is where our emotions are registered within our bodies and also often where they are stored. Hence ‘your gut’ is another term for your intuition. This is where people experience both butterflies and anxiety. This Chakra is where our personal power originates, it is connected to our ambitions, willpower and motivations in the physical world.
Having a balanced Solar Plexus Chakra means someone who is confident within themselves, who doesn’t need validation from others. Someone who can walk their talk and stand firm in their convictions. Someone with a strong moral compass and finally someone who can freely express emotions and confrontations in a healthy manner.
BLOCKED SOLAR PLEXUS CHAKRAS
- Lack of drive or ambition
- No motivation or direction in life
- No will power, allows others to walk over them
- Poor sense of self and self worth, due to childhood conditioning
- Inability to make decisions for oneself
- Untrusting of others and their motives
- Because this is where the emotions originate, this is also where they are bottled up and suppressed. Not addressing childhood and other traumas that cause our pain, grief or mistrust, will lead to physical manifestations of these emotions in medical concerns later on.
- Medical health conditions would affect the stomach area as well as organs such as the pancreas, gallbladder and liver.
OVERACTIVE SOLAR PLEXUS CHAKRAS
- Need to dominate and control others and situations around you
- Behaving superior to others, or handing out judgements
- Never in the wrong, inability to apologise
- Confrontational and attacking toward others
- Defensive when called out
- When this Chakra is overactive it means there is a overflow of personal power and emotions. Making it difficult for the person to establish or regain control. This can be seen from highly aggressive individuals operating from that primal place of fear and insecurity.
SOLAR PLEXUS CHAKRA SUMMARY
|LOCATION||SOLAR PLEXUS AREA, STERNUM|
|PURPOSE||PERSONAL STRENGTH AND POWER, PHYSICAL AMBITION AND DRIVE, WILLPOWER|
|PART OF THE BODY AFFECTED||STOMACH AREA, GALLBLADDER, LIVER|
|ALSO ASSOCIATED WITH||PANCREAS|
|AGE OF DEVELOPMENT||8 – 12 YEARS OLD|
|CONTRIBUTING FACTORS||DOMINEERING PARENTS OR GUARDIANS, CONSTANT SHAMING, EMOTIONAL AND PHYSICAL ABUSE, NEVER RECEIVING PRAISE|
|SOME CRYSTALS FOR THE SOLAR PLEXUS CHAKRA||TIGERS EYE|
THE SACRAL CHAKRA
Number 2 is The Sacral Chakra and its colour is Orange. It is located between the pelvic area and the belly button. Naturally, this Chakra governs our reproductive functions and organs. It is also where our passions, inspirations and creativity originate. This energy point also affects the lower back and organs such as the kidneys and bladder. As this is one of the 3 physical Chakras, any imbalances will likely manifest into physical conditions if left unaddressed
BLOCKED SACRAL CHAKRAS
- Women may experience physical issues in their menstrual cycles, flow, pain and reproductive conditions or problems
- Both men and women would be affected by kidney or urinary infections, blockages or issues
- Low sex drive, sexual problems, reproductive issues and concerns
- Low self esteem, no passion or zest for life
- Possibly, no will to live as no joy can be found
- Does not adapt well to change
- Emotionally void or guarded
- Lower back or kidney problems
OVERACTIVE SACRAL CHAKRAS
- Addictive personality
- Overactive sex drive
- Impulsive, poor sense of judgement
- Emotionally dependant on others
- Emotions running on high, Irritable and agitated easily
- Overly critical of self and others
- No regard for personal safety or well being of others, lives on the edge
SACRAL CHAKRA SUMMARY
|LOCATION||BETWEEN BELLY BUTTON AND PELVIS|
|PURPOSE||REPRODUCTION, DESIRE, CREATIVITY, PASSION, JOY, WILL TO LIVE|
|PART OF THE BODY AFFECTED||REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS, KIDNEYS, BLADDER, BACK AREA|
|ALSO ASSOCIATED WITH||GENITALS|
|AGE OF DEVELOPMENT||3 – 8 YEARS OLD|
|CONTRIBUTING FACTORS||NEGLECT, NO SUPPORT SYSTEM, BEING JUDGED OR REPRIMANDED FOR SHOWING FEELINGS, NOT BEING ALLOWED AN OPINION OR TO SHOW INITIATIVE, WANTS, OR DESIRES, EMOTIONALLY DISTANT OR UNAVAILABLE PARENTS|
|SOME CRYSTALS FOR THE SACRAL CHAKRA||CARNELIAN|
THE ROOT CHAKRA
Finally the first Chakra on the list, our Root Chakra is Red in colour and the first energy point within our physical bodies. This Chakra is our safety, foundation, self-worth and really our identity. Being the first Chakra to start developing and the one with the strongest link to our physical bodies, this explains why the Root Chakra is the densest and slowest of all at a vibrational level. It sits right at the root of our bodies, as a polar opposite to the Crown Chakra.
The base Chakra is largely impacted by our earliest years and the relationship we had with our parents. This energy point governs our capacity to nurture ourselves and others, our link and views of the material / physical world (including money) as well as our abilities to protect ourselves when in danger. This Chakra is where the ‘fight or flight’ response comes from along with our will to survive.
BLOCKED ROOT CHAKRAS
- No passion or desire to participate in life
- Creative blocks
- Attitude of lack, victim mentality
- Not able to show initiative or independence, always relying on others
- Financial problems, never having enough
- Not able to fully connect with others on a deeper level, this will affect close personal relationships
- Not grounded to the physical plane
- This Chakra needs to function properly to send energy to the others. An underdeveloped or blocked Root Chakra will affect and slow down the rest.
- Medical issues would affect many areas including bones, legs and feet, hips, muscles, reproductive organs, skin, and kidneys.
- Can also show up in the form of eating disorders
OVERACTIVE ROOT CHAKRAS
- Materialistic, greedy, focused on status
- Driven by ego, entitled
- Unquenchable sexual drive or desires
- No regard for others feelings
- Definitely someone who takes and gets what they want, regardless of what anyone else thinks or advises
- Living in Fear or survival mode
- Anxiety and panic attacks are common
- Feeling defensive, threatened or inferior to others
- Relying on food, drugs alcohol or other addictions to fill the void
ROOT CHAKRA SUMMARY
|LOCATION||ROOT OF THE BODY, THE PERINEUM|
|PURPOSE||SAFETY, FOUNDATION, CONNECTION TO PHYSICAL WORLD, PERCEPTION OF SELF|
|PART OF THE BODY AFFECTED||LEGS, FEET, BOWELS, BONE MARROW, SKIN, KIDNEYS, TEETH, HIPS AND BASE OF BACK|
|ALSO ASSOCIATED WITH||ADRENAL GLANDS|
|AGE OF DEVELOPMENT||UP TO 5 YEARS OLD|
|CONTRIBUTING FACTORS||ABANDONMENT, BROKEN HOME, DISTANT MOTHER AND FATHER DURING THESE CRUCIAL YEARS, TAKING ON PARENTS FEARS REGARDING SURVIVAL OR MONEY ISSUES, SEXUAL ABUSE, SHAMING OR LEARNED NEGATIVE OPINIONS AND BELIEFS ABOUT SEX|
|SOME CRYSTALS FOR THE ROOT CHAKRA||CARNELIAN|
I hope you learned some interesting Chakra facts today that can assist you with better understanding your body as well as those around you. Take a look at the next installment to this article – Part 2 Working with Chakras – this will provide you with different activities and methods for balancing, unblocking and restoring your Chakras.
Please leave your likes or comments below and let me know whether you found this article helpful or what you liked most about it!
CHAKRA CANDLES AND KITS
*Those of you in SA please take a look at my Magick Shoppe and browse through my beautiful Candle collection. Spell Candles are available in 8 different colour options. These items are available to purchase and courier anywhere in SA – collection from me is also an option if you reside in JHB.*
These can also be purchased through Hello Pretty.
Please spread the light and share! Like and follow my social media pages to stay current with my latest blog posts, supplies and service updates.
Chakras are energy points that sit on specific areas of our bodies. They are what link us to our spiritual selves. When a Chakra or energy centre is off or not working properly (ie – stuck or overworking) it will begin to affect our physical bodies, mental and emotional states and wellbeing if left unaddressed. When our Chakras are balanced our bodies are in harmony with our spiritual and emotional selves. This means everything is working the way it is supposed to and each energy centre is moving freely and openly in a state of balance and harmony.
We have seven main Chakras within our physical bodies. Each one is located at a certain point and affects the organs or parts surrounding that area. These are – The Crown, Third Eye, Throat, Heart, Solar Plexus, Sacral and Root Chakras. There are also Chakras that sit within our auric field known as Higher Chakras which have different purposes yet to be explored.
Each of our Chakras sits at a certain point within our energy fields and physical bodies. They grow as we grow. Therefore each one vibrates at a different frequency and has its own purpose, name, symbol and colour. These attributes help us to understand what each Chakra needs to be balanced and how it affects us in our daily lives. By incorporating these colours, symbols, affirmations or even movements for each Chakra, we are able to naturally and effectively heal and balance these centers of power within us.
As humans and energy, we are constantly changing, growing, evolving. Sometimes though we are held back and affected by traumas or outdated patterns and belief systems. Sometimes we hold onto these things and store them within ourselves without even realizing it until we have manifested a physical ailment.
Chakra work is not only for certain people or only to be done when things are serious. It’s for ALL of us! All the time. It’s something to be maintained and worked on as much as we can. Knowing whether your Chakras are blocked, balanced or spiralling out of control is the first step. This article should assist you in analyzing and working on the areas and energy centres that are relevant to you and your healing journey.
In order to balance something, we need to figure out what has it imbalanced in the first place. Is something stuck and not moving? Or are things spinning out of control? The first step is knowing where on the scale you fall and taking it from there. There are no quick fixes as with most things in life, so you will need to look at each energy centre and assess it with total love and honesty.
There are many methods and practices out there, it’s key to find the ones that resonate with you and your personal beliefs as well as your scope of comfortability. Part 2 of this article – Working with your Chakras will assist you in exploring and understanding each Chakra and provide you with some easy methods you can use to balance yours.